Sunday, May 07, 2006

Faxed Head

My wife and newly born daughter never really got into this amazing band. I can sort of understand why, they’ve released several extremely challenging masterpieces, which, on initial hearing, even I found little enjoyment in. Sure, they were very amusing. But the skill of creating such painful music full of dropouts and random distortion that probably does damage to your speakers is amazing. And then you’ve gotta check out the lyrics, my fave is probably from their second album, Uncomfortable but Free which has a song on it about them not loving the hick country town they live in and the lines “I'm never going to leave Coalinga, I love it here, it is my home. Also, I cannot get up, or my bones will puncture through my skin.” How good is that? Such a poignant sentiment, which I’m sure we can all relate to at some point in our lives. On their 3rd album there’s a great song about getting food poisoning in a Mexican restaurant. You know you should check it out. Warning: it’s kindof low-fi quirky death/black metal at times. Here’s their story. I’m not sure if I believe ALL of it.

No comments: